Thursday, August 18, 2011

Flip Flop Refashion DIY


Flip Flop Refashion



Did you see this flip flop makeover??  
Cute right?  

Well, I have the Target version 
(LOVES them, too bad they are sitting in the yard with dog poop on them...need to go spray them off...maybe later)

Since then I have seen a few flip flop makeovers and thought they were pretty cute and clever.  Me being the hooker that I am I NEEDED a yarn version.  

Behold!  The granny triangle flip flop diy {yeah, that's a mouthful} 

I used an I hook (5.50mm) and cotton worsted weight yarn.  Feel free to use whatever you'd like!  
We bought 3 pairs of Old Navy cheapies for about $8 they do have dollar day but it's crazy.  My daughter got the "high end" ones...you know the ones that are $3 weird toxic rubber instead of $2 weird toxic foam :)  


 Let's get started.

Make a magic circle.

Ch 3 (counts as your first dc) and 2 dc in the magic circle, ch 2 (sorry chain 2 not pictured)

(dc, dc, dc, ch 2)—repeat twice.  You should now have 3 groups of 3 dc, join to the top of your starting chain.

{2 groups}
 your piece should resemble this  {3 groups}


Optional color change

Ch 3, 2 dc in the chain space just before your chain (the last chain space of the previous round), ch 2,




In the next chain space make 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2

{sorry ch 2 not pictured...again ;) }


In final chain space you should have 1 group of 3dc already.  You are going to make 3 dc, ch 2, and then join into the starting chain.  You now have 6 groups of 3 dc


Optional color change

Ch 3, 2dc in the chain space just under/behind your chain, ch 2

3dc, ch 2 in next space –this space is the center of one of the sides of your triangle


3dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch 2 in next chain space—this space is a corner of your triangle

3dc, ch 2 in next space –this space is the center of one of the sides of your triangle

3dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch 2 in next chain space—this space is a corner of your triangle

3dc, ch 2 in next space –this space is the center of one of the sides of your triangle

You are now at the end, your space should have your very first group of dc, make 3 more, ch 2 and join to beginning chain.

Fasten off, weave in all tails

I pulled a few strands of yarn through, you could braid them or finish some other way but I thought it looked fine just loose.

Cut your plastic straps off.  You can use your straps as a size gauge or try them on. Pull your yarn through and knot.  Don't pull your yarn knot tight until you've got a good fit.  Do this on all 3.

Squeeze some hot glue in the hole and let dry well.  I also sort of wrap/stuff the extra yarn in the hole.  You want it smooth with the bottom or close so that it doesn't feel like you are walking on bumps :)

Tada!!!  Cutesy Tutesy!

You could also do circles arranged in a million different ways {my daughter chose this one}

flowers, or even yarn knotted like the fabric ones.  I have 1 more pair and I am pretty sure they'll become flowers!


Thanks girls for not only modeling the flip flops but for even painting your nails!

Hope you enjoy!

14 comments:

Lori Gaston said...

Those are lovely! So much fun! I think they'll make perfect summer gifts!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I love it. Gotta "pin" this.

Heather D said...

I LOVE THESE, Scotti!! Thanks so much you awesome hooker chick!

Nichole said...

You're a super Hooker! So stinking cute!!! I think a pair of my Old Navy $1 flip flops need a makeover!!!

Mlissabeth said...

These look really cute, and easy to make. I am thinking I might try to do a more manly one for my son that broke his. We'll see what I end up with!

KindergartenKapers said...

LOVE them! :)

Destri said...

Wow! I think you blew mine out of the water :). I so wish I knew how to crochet...it's on my very.long.list.

Thanks so much for the mention!

CrochetBlogger said...

Really love these. Much cuter than most of the versions I've seen!

Aurelas said...

I might just have to try this--have several pairs of rather ugly flip flops from Wal Mart that could be redone (not to mention way more yarn than anyone needs). I like the way you show step by step what the triangle should look like because my granny squares always turn out wrong.

~ Darlene said...

I love this and can't wait to try them! I have been making barefoot sandals and everyone loves them but they want a sole!! This solves the issue!!

Darlene
www.stork1.blogspot.com

Misty Makes said...

Thanks for the tutorial here's the pair I made. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=392442054209618&set=a.306996412754183.76048.170363489750810&type=1&theater

Misty Makes said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Here's the pair I made. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=392442054209618&set=a.306996412754183.76048.170363489750810&type=1&theater

Amanda Nicole said...

Beautiful sandal pattern! I featured them in a round-up at MNE Crafts! - http://www.mnecrafts.com/2014/04/10-free-patterns-sandals.html

Thanks for your beautiful pattern!

Unknown said...

Do you have pattern for purple pair? So excited to make these for summer!!